Billingbooth notifies your customers that new invoices have been issue by emailing them a copy of the invoice in PDF format, along with any associated artifacts (attachments). By default, Billingbooth sends out an email using a Billingbooth branded template.
- First, click Settings in the left-hand main navigation and then Templates in the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the Template Settings screen, locate the Email Template field.
The custom body of the invoice email, in HTML format. If omitted, Billingbooth will use the standard email template. The contents of this setting need to be entered as HTML, and should be tested under different email clients (ie Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, etc) to ensure that the look and feel is achieved correctly.
The Email Template field supports the concept of Replaceable Fields. These are variable names, which start and end using a dollar sign ($), and during the process of sending invoice emails will be replaced with the respective content. For more information on replaceable fields, see our Using replaceable fields within email subject and template article.
The simplest way to test the configuration settings of a customised email template is to find an existing invoice and send it to yourself. Email customisations will kick in instantly after being saved, so you can re-send invoices as many times as you need until the look and feel of the email template is correct. To send an invoice to a specified email address:
- Either click Invoices in the left-hand navigation menu OR click Customers in the left-hand navigation, select the customer you wish to see the invoices of and then click Invoices in the customer sub-menu on the Customer Details screen.
- Find the invoice you wish to send yourself and click the Send button in the respective invoice row's Actions column.
When setting up a custom email template, the following technical considerations should be taken into account:
- All external content to the email (images, css, etc) will need to be hosted somewhere outside of Billingbooth, we do not provide hosting for any static resources.
- Testing under different email clients (such as Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail, and so on) should be undertaken to ensure that the HTML you've provided works uniformly across different reading mediums.
- Creating your own HTML may lead to certain email providers classifying Billingbooth emails as spam. Take care to ensure you are producing a clean HTML email template without any obvious content that may lead it to be blacklisted as spam.